The Marine CARBON DIOXIDE (CO2) system also called CO2 fire Extinguishing/ Fighting/ Suppression system is the most vital part of the vessel and can be assimilated to the heart of the latter as it will control all the parts that can be endangered.
Carbon dioxide as extinguishing agent
1. Carbon dioxide gas is stable and does not wield influence on oil, metal or electric insulator.
2. Since no pollution is caused at the fire fighting, the equipment, which is not damaged by the fire, can resume the operation immediately after the fire is put off.
3. As carbon dioxide has higher electric insulation property than air, it can be safely used to the electric equipment.
4. Since it can penetrate to any gap, the fire is extinguished completely no matter what complicated form the burning object may have.
5. The quality is not deteriorated if stored over a long period.
Since a large amount of oil is found in the engine room, boiler room, pump room, e.t.c. the fire may be spread rapidly. In the case of the engine room, therefore, it is necessary that 85% of required amount of carbon dioxide is discharged within 2 minutes for the prompt fire extinguishments.
The fire extinguishing system in the room consists of discharge nozzles, the carbon dioxide gas cylinders and the large type selection valve, the latter two being connected with the fixed piping for pressure use.