Convention means the SOLAS, 1974, as amended. Regulation means a regulation contained in the Annex to the Convention. Retro-reflective material is a material which reflects in the opposite direction a beam of light directed on it. [A.658(16)] Organization means IMO with all its committees. Administration means Maritime administration of Flag state.
The terms used in this Code have the same meaning as those defined in regulation III/3.
Unless expressly provided otherwise in the opinion of the Administration, all LSA prescribed in this part shall:
1. be constructed with proper workmanship and materials;
2. not be damaged in stowage throughout the air temperature range -30℃ to +65℃;
3. if they are likely to be immersed in seawater during their use, operate throughout the seawater temperature range -1℃ to +30℃;
4. where applicable, be rot-proof, corrosion-resistant, and not be unduly affected by seawater, oil or fungal attack;
5. where exposed to sunlight, be resistant to deterioration;
6. be of a highly visible color on all parts where this will assist detection;
7. be fitted with retro-reflective material where it will assist in detection and in accordance with the recommendations of the Organization in A.658(16);
8. if they are to be used in a seaway, be capable of satisfactory operation in that environment;
9. be clearly marked with approval information including the Administration which approved it, and any operational restrictions;
10. where applicable, be provided with electrical short circuit protection to prevent damage or injury.
The Administration shall determine the period of acceptability of life-saving appliances which are subject to deterioration with age. Such life-saving appliances shall be marked with a means for determining their age or the date by which they must be replaced. Permanent marking with a date of expiry is the preferred method of establishing the period of acceptability. Batteries not marked with an expiration date may be used if they are replaced annually, or in the case of a secondary battery (accumulator), if the condition of the electrolyte can be readily checked.