The marking required on liferafts equipped in accordance with LSA code regulation 220.127.116.11 shall be “SOLAS A PACK” in block capitals of the Roman alphabet.
In the case of passenger ships engaged on short international voyages of such a nature and duration that, in the opinion of the Administration, not all the items specified in paragraph 18.104.22.168 are necessary, and “SOLAS B PACK” should be marked in block capitals of the Roman alphabet on liferaft.
The liferaft painter system shall provide a connection between the ship and the liferaft and shall be so arranged as to ensure
that the liferaft when released and, in the case of an inflatable liferaft, inflated is not dragged under by the sinking ship.
If a weak link is used in the float-free arrangement, it shall:
1. not be broken by the force required to pull the painter from the liferaft container;
2. if applicable, be of sufficient strength to permit the inflation of the liferaft; and
3. break under a strain of 2.2 ± 0.4 kN.
The liferaft shall be packed in a container that is:
1. so constructed as to withstand hard wear under conditions encountered at sea;
2. of sufficient inherent buoyancy, when packed with the liferaft and its equipment, to pull the painter from within and to operate the inflation mechanism should the ship sink;
3. as far as practicable watertight, except for drain holes in the container bottom.
The Life Raft container shall be marked with:
1. maker’s name or trade mark;
2. serial number;
3. name of approving authority and the number of persons it is permitted to carry;
5. type of emergency pack enclosed;
7. date when last serviced;
8. length of painter;
9. maximum permitted height of stowage above waterline (depending on drop-test height and length of painter);
10. launching instructions.